Hard Times In The Big Easy

New Orleans 70.3 Race Report.

Sometimes you show up to race completely physically prepared to take on everyone. You know through preparation that your numbers across the board is in a place to give anyone a run for their money...literally.  Then race day comes, the gun goes off and things turn out much differently than you anticipated.  This was one of those times.

What most people don't know about me is that I deal with a bit of anxiety.  Time to just put that out there for everyone. Most of the time it's very manageable, but from time to time, it becomes challenging. Without going into more detail, this was one of those times. Specifically, the handling of a deep dish front wheel in the wind. The wind wasn't horrible, but it was gusty and consistent throughout the course. After a close call with the curb at mile 3 and a VERY windy and sketchy descent off of one of the bridges at mile 5, I had a bit of an anxiety attack and I was unable to regroup or settle down to regain my focus. Typically I have a mental race plan where I anticipate running into barriers, usually Ironman Racing or very rough swims. Today was one of those days where I needed it at a time where I wasn't expecting it. Lesson learned.

Despite a subpar start to the season, we got out for a little fun on Bourbon Street. The highlight was definitely the food, however the entertainment at the karaoke bar was a close second.



Time to take bit of knowledge away from the big easy and move ahead to the next race that I am eagerly awaiting; Wildflower.  This is an event I have wanted to do since I got into the sport of triathlon and I will finally get a chance to do it.  In addition to racing, I am looking forward to spending a little time with my brother at his new home in SoCal!

+++

On a BBMC note, congratulations to Patrick Brady and Brandon Nguyen on their great races down here in NOLA! You both have a great season ahead. Thank you as well to Randy, Graetel and Dan for your race support this weekend.

Bring On May!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Using A Swim Test Within Your Training

Valuing Your Time & Reach

2019 Ironman Wisconsin