The Gremlin, "That Guy," and "Hey Russ..."





Meet Harry...Harry looks like a gremlin, but is the hairless cat that lives here at my homestay with Russ and Julie. He is a 'trip.' Sometimes, hairy gets angry(as you can see). He is more like a dog. He fetches, drinks by dipping his paws in water, then licks them, he leaves his toys in his water dish and likes people food. Crazy cat, a lot of personality.

Well, race week is finally here. It seems like I was waiting, waiting, waiting for it to get here and now it is flying by. Tuesday is almost done. I guess that is how most things go. Like vacations. Everyone always looks forward to a vacation and it seems like such a long wait, then before you know it, it is here and gone and you are back at work.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

While I have been staying here, I have been swimming at the ASU pool. Very nice! Now, if you saw the pool you might say "WTH, this pool is somewhat dirty, the lawn-chairs are from the 70's and there is no music. Seems pretty average. Now, check out the same pool on the weekend and you will change your tune. Regardless of if you are a guy or gal. Beautiful weather = beautiful people.



Anyway, the reason that I bring this up is that, as triathletes, we lose perspective on occassion. Ok, maybe we have perspective on occassion.:)

Example: On Saturday I did my swim at 1pm. Being close to a race and having trained in sunny FL, I might be fooled in thinking I was impressing a lady or two. This is where we lose perspective.

Remember when you were at the pool in either high school or early on in college? Remember the guy that always walked in and swam in a speedo? Remember what you thought about him? All of a sudden, I was "THAT GUY." We all had a good laugh over that one the other night.

+++++++++++++++++

Blog is getting long, so I will only tell one last story. The other night I am telling Russ about how I will be carbohydrate loading for this race. A series of short HARD efforts 2 days out and then a HUGE amount of CHO(1000g) for the day. I will be loading as 80% Martodextrin / 20% Fructose...I have maltodextrin, but needed fructose.

I asked Russ, "Do you know where I can get Fructose around here?" He proceeds to open a cabinet and pull out a bag of, "what do you need?" He pulls out a 5+ lb bag of none other than FRUCTOSE! I have a pic of it, but couldn't get it to post down here. You'll have to take my word for it.

++++++++++++++++

Alright, I have to go ride in the heat again. Here is a quick summary of yesterday and today.

Monday Apr 9 - Nothing, Nada, Massage and that is it. Boring.

Tuesday Apr 10 -

Swim of 1:05 and 3500 yds as follows:

800wu

5x300 HARD on 5:00. (3:44, 3:40, 3:40, 3:41, 3:40) Not great but ok. 200 easy

2x4x100 on 1:45 as (25h/75e,50h/50e,75h/25e,100h) swam 1:07,1:06 for the 100h's

200 easy cd

Afternoon spin of 60min very easy around town.

30min run off the bike with 5x1:30H on = recovery

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Using A Swim Test Within Your Training

Valuing Your Time & Reach

Ironman Texas Recap & Images